Article

Emeka Okafor becomes third UConn men’s basketball player to have numb… — and more

Emeka Okafor becomes third UConn men’s basketball player to have number retired - Toronto Star

Emeka Okafor becomes third UConn men’s basketball player to have number retired  Toronto Star

Broncos Sign WR Michael Bandy to New Deal

Bandy will join the roster immediately to compete for a spot. During the 2025 season, he played in four games, catching four passes for 50 yards and a touchdown while contributing on special teams as a punt returner.

Werder Bremen keeper Mio Backhaus (21) speaks on ‘fighting hairstyle’ and competitive push from Arsenal’s Karl Hein

Werder Bremen keeper Mio Backhaus (21) speaks on ‘fighting hairstyle’ and competitive push from Arsenal’s Karl Hein
Werder Bremen keeper Mio Backhaus (21) speaks on ‘fighting hairstyle’ and competitive push from Arsenal’s Karl Hein

As his team girds up for a relegation dogfight, Werder Bremen keeper Mio Backhaus has spoken on his “fighting hairstyle” and the manner in which competition from Arsenal loanee Karl Hein helped him raise his game. In his debut Bundesliga season, the Mönchengladbach-native and new Germany U21 No. 1 has done well for both club and country. Even if few are betting on his club at the moment, Backhaus is pleased to bet on himself and his teammates.

Backhaus shaves off his blonde locks

After sporting an artificial blonde since he was tapped to replace Michael Zetterer as Bremen’s new No. 1, Backhaus appeared with his natural dark hair ahead of last week’s Bundesliga fixture against Bayern Munich. The 21-year-old now hopes that his shave will help his team “grow” via more Bundesliga points collected in the fight against the drop. 

It is indeed a fighting hairstyle,” Backhaus – quoted by Kicker – noted in an interview set to be published in the Thursday print edition of the magazine. “I liked the blonde hair, but the lads in the locker room like the new do. We’re going to grab a lot of points with it.

Backhaus remains confident in Werder Bremen

When I observe the lads in training, I don’t get the feeling that their heads are down,” Backhaus said of the team mood in general. “Naturally, there’s tense moments, but the players aren’t letting that spoil their mood. We’re still here to have fun and we’re staying positive so we can work our way back up.

“The table position isn’t ideal, but we still have enough games left to play,” Backhaus continued. “I’m fairly certain sure that at the end of it all and we’ll stand there and say, ‘Wow, that was a difficult but ultimately successful season.’ I watch how the guys work. I believe that will be rewarded at some point.”

Backhaus appreciates competitive push from Karl Hein

The Arsenal loanee filled in for Backhaus during back-to-back Bundesliga fixtures in late September and early October. Hein’s strong performances against Bayern Munich and St. Pauli led to some talk of the Estonian national team keeper taking over Backhaus’ role on a permanent basis. Months later, Backhaus remained fairly cool on the subject.

Karl did well and also created a bit of pressure,” Backhaus told Kicker. “I was able to use that as motivation to come back stronger. The competition helped me. There have been several moments in which I’ve been able to say ‘Hey, I’m here and can help the team’.”

Backhaus remains committed to Germany

Of dual German and Japanese heritage, Backhaus can always switch his international allegiance to Samurai Blue. Despite the fact that he has befriended Southampton loanee and Japanese international Yukinari Sugawara, Backhaus has ruled out making the change. The keeper reaffirmed this in his Kicker interview. 

We’re already too close to the World Cup to focus on that,” Backhaus said. “For me, Werder is what counts. We need to stay in the league. I’m trying to block out everything else for now.

Even though the next international break is coming up in March, I definitely won’t be playing for Japan,” Backhaus concluded. “Not yet, anyway.

GGFN | Peter Weis

Champions Lash Out at Phillip Island MotoGP Loss

Former MotoGP champion Wayne Gardner has slammed the Victorian government over the decision to lose the Phillip Island MotoGP event, expressing deep disappointment.

In brief

Emeka Okafor becomes third UConn men’s basketball player to have number retired - TSN Emeka Okafor becomes third UConn men’s basketball player to have number retired TSN

Jets Reacts Survey: What grade would you give Woody Johnson as Jets owner? Welcome to SB Nation Reacts, a survey of fans across the NFL. Throughout the year we ask questions of the most plugged-in Jets fans and fans across the country. Sign up here to participate in the weekly emailed surveys. Jets owner Woody Johnson found himself in the headlines once again

Weinert’s career-high 37 points powers Badgers over Marauders in first-round playoff matchup - Brock University Athletics Weinert’s career-high 37 points powers Badgers over Marauders in first-round playoff matchup Brock University Athletics

A heartwarming tribute for 'a great human' This Winter Olympics aerials competition saw plenty of Aussies achieve lifetime goals, but they never forgot the one person who was missing.

Broncos bring free-agent wide receiver back into the fold - Yahoo Sports Canada Broncos bring free-agent wide receiver back into the fold Yahoo Sports Canada