Article

Instant analysis of Rams' unique offensive coordinator setup — and more

Instant analysis of Rams' unique offensive coordinator setup

After losing Mike LaFleur to the Arizona Cardinals, Sean McVay said the Los Angeles Rams would conduct a thorough search for his replacement as offensive coordinator. He wasn’t lying when he said that because the Rams were the last team in the NFL to hire an OC this offseason.

In the end, they landed on the most logical candidate from the start: Nate Scheelhaase. But he’s not their only offensive coordinator. Quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone has added co-offensive coordinator to his job title, too.

A tandem of Scheelhaase and Ragone makes perfect sense. Scheelhaase is 35 and a fast riser who’s destined to be a head coach at some point in the near future. He had several head coaching interviews this offseason despite never being an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Ragone, on the other hand, is a more experienced assistant coach. Still only 46, he’s coached in the NFL since 2011 when he got his start working with the Titans’ wide receivers. Since then, he’s been a quarterbacks coach for three different teams: Titans (2013), Bears (2016-2019), and Rams (2024-present).

Not to mention, he was the Falcons’ offensive coordinator from 2021-2023, so he’s held this job before. That experience will certainly help Scheelhaase – and in turn, McVay – in his new role as a first-time coordinator.

McVay has never been one to take the conventional approach, and he’s thinking outside the box with this new OC setup. Since being hired as the Rams’ head coach in 2017, McVay has had seasons in which he had one offensive coordinator, no offensive coordinator and now two.

In 2018, the Rams had no designated OC, just a pass game coordinator (Shane Waldron) and run game coordinator (Aaron Kromer). That year, Los Angeles finished with the No. 2 overall offense and No. 2 scoring offense in the NFL, which helped them reach the Super Bowl.

As long as McVay is running the show, the Rams are capable of finishing with a top-10 offense, no matter who their offensive coordinator is. McVay is trying something new with two offensive coordinators, though it sounds like Scheelhaase will be the primary guy in the role.

Having an experienced offensive mind like Ragone, who has worked with Matthew Stafford for the last two years, will only make things easier for everyone involved.

This article originally appeared on Rams Wire: Rams news: Analysis of LA hiring Nate Scheelhaase as new OC

Bolton midfielder Sheehan extends contract

Josh Sheehan in action for Bolton Wanderers
Josh Sheehan has score three times in 30 appearances for Bolton in 2025-26 [Shutterstock]

Bolton midfielder Josh Sheehan has extended his deal through to the end of the 2027-28 season.

The 30-year-old, who would have been out of contract at the end of next season, has scored 17 goals in 175 appearances for Wanderers since joining from Newport in June 2021.

Sheehan has been capped 16 times for Wales and played the full 90 minutes of their most recent World Cup qualifier, against North Macedonia in November.

"Playing here, when you walk out at this stadium, there aren't many places better," the Wales international told the club website.

"Being up and around this place me and my family call this home now, which is another driving factor."

Dolphins free agents 2026: Walk, tag, re-sign – Kader Kohou

HOUSTON, TX - DECEMBER 15: Kader Kohou #4 of the Miami Dolphins looks on from the field during an NFL football game against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium on December 15, 2024 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images) | Getty Images

Our annual review of the Miami Dolphins’ soon-to-be free agents starts today as we get ready for the 2026 NFL league year. Miami has 35 players slotted to hit free agency this year – not including released players like wide receiver Tyreek Hill or guard James Daniels. Free agency begins on 13, with the Dolphins needing to make decisions on all of these players between now and then.

The start of our breakdown will be with cornerback Kader Kohou, who just finished his fourth season in the league. As we will do for each player in this series, we will take a look back at his 2025 season, envision his role with the team in 2026, and then provide our thoughts on if he should be re-signed, franchise tagged, or allowed to leave in free agency.

Due to changes in our editor, I am unable to add a poll as I have in previous years for this series. Instead, I will embed a post from X to allow you to vote and invite you to head into the comments to discuss.


Biography

Kader Khou

Position: Cornerback

Age (when season begins): 27

College: Texas A&M – Commerce

Draft: Undrafted in 2022, signed by the Miami Dolphins

Experience: 4 years

Previous Teams:

  • Miami Dolphins (2022-2025)

Pro Bowl, All-Pro, Awards: None


Expiring Contract

1 year, $3.3 million


2025 Review

Kohou signed a one-year contract with Miami in April and looked in position to resume his role as a starter. In his first three years, he appeared in 47 games, starting 38 of them, including 13 starts as a rookie, and recorded 180 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, one sack, 28 passes defensed, and three interceptions. With Jalen Ramsey and Kendall Fuller no longer with the team, Kohou was the one 2024 starting cornerback who was expected to be back with the Dolphins for 2025. During a July training camp practice, Kohou tore his ACL and missed the entire season.


2026 Outlook

Cornerbacks do not usually return as the same player they were in their first year back from an ACL tear, as they often question whether the knee is fully healed. The good news for Kohou is that the tear happened so early in training camp, he should be ready for a full build-up for the season. The market for Kohou may be lukewarm this offseason as teams wait to see if he has recovered. The Dolphins have to rebuild their cornerbacks group after last year’s injury-fest that decimated the depth chart. Kohou would likely immediately return to a starting role, likely slotting in as the nickel cornerback.


Walk, Tag, or Re-Sign?

Re-sign. Kohou should be relatively cheap to re-sign as he looks to prove he is fully recovered before cashing in on a bigger contract in 2027. Miami needs cornerbacks and they have one that they know and have spent time developing – albeit with a different coaching staff. Bringing back a younger player who has proven he can play at the NFL level would be the best move in this case.


What do you think Miami should do? Vote here and head to the comments to discuss:

Bolton midfielder Sheehan extends contract - Yahoo Sports Canada

Bolton midfielder Sheehan extends contract  Yahoo Sports Canada

Report: Liverpool favourites to sign £50m Premier League star

Report: Liverpool favourites to sign £50m Premier League star
Report: Liverpool favourites to sign £50m Premier League star

Liverpool Lead Race for Mateus Mane Amid Wolves Uncertainty

Liverpool are currently leading the pursuit of Wolves forward Mateus Mane, according to reporting by Caught Offside, with Manchester United and Arsenal also expressing interest in the 18 year old.

There is a growing acceptance within Wolves that retaining Mane this summer will prove challenging, particularly with relegation to the Championship described as a near certainty. Early conversations have taken place regarding a potential transfer, and indications are that Liverpool have moved swiftly to position themselves at the front of the queue.

One source is quoted as saying, “Wolves accept that it’s going to be very hard for them to keep Mateus Mane. This is one of the most outstanding talents in the country, and his rapid progression is no secret to Premier League scouts.” That assessment aligns with the level of interest emerging across the top end of the division.

Early Engagement from Anfield

While Manchester United have been widely linked, the information available suggests Liverpool have undertaken preliminary work on a possible deal. Contact has been made with the player’s representatives and initial discussions are described as “positive”.

Wolves are understood to value Mane at around £50m. Whether that figure proves negotiable remains to be seen. If maintained, it may test Liverpool’s appetite, given their recent preference for structured deals and targeted investment.

Mane, an England youth international, has attracted attention for his development trajectory and adaptability in advanced areas. Recruitment departments across the Premier League have monitored his progress closely over the past 12 months.

Arsenal Interest Adds Competition

Arsenal are also admirers. Their recent recruitment strategy has combined immediate impact with long term planning, illustrated by the acquisitions of William Saliba, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Martinelli. Those deals have delivered both performance and appreciation in value.

Photo IMAGO

The report notes that Arsenal are “keen to mix it up by bringing in more young players this summer,” suggesting Mane fits a broader profile rather than being an isolated target.

For now, Liverpool hold what is described as an early advantage. However, the situation remains fluid, and formal bids have yet to materialise. Wolves’ league status, valuation stance and the player’s own preference will all influence the outcome in the coming weeks.


EPL Index, Wolves Fan Perspective

From a Wolves standpoint, this situation feels painfully familiar. When a young player is labelled “one of the most outstanding talents in the country,” it rarely ends with him staying at Molineux for long.

Supporters will understand the financial realities, especially if relegation is confirmed, but £50m must represent more than a headline figure. If Mateus Mane departs, Wolves need maximum value and clarity on reinvestment. Selling talent without a robust succession plan has hurt clubs before.

Fans will also take pride in the fact that Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United are circling. That level of interest underlines the quality emerging from Wolves’ development system. Yet pride does not soften the blow of losing a player capable of shaping the club’s future.

If a sale becomes inevitable, transparency and smart recruitment will be essential. Wolves supporters will accept difficult decisions, provided they are part of a coherent strategy rather than another step in decline.

In brief

Zampa rejects idea Australia do not value T20s Australia depart the T20 World Cup with a thumping, nine-wicket consolation victory over Oman in Pallekele.

Giants hire Sam Rosengarten as director of high performance; add 5 football analysts - Giants.com Giants hire Sam Rosengarten as director of high performance; add 5 football analysts Giants.com

Who will win Vanderbilt basketball vs Tennessee in SEC rivalry? Our prediction Vanderbilt basketball will host Tennessee on Feb. 21. Get the Commodores' prediction, how to watch and injury updates for the SEC matchup.

Rockets rise to No. 3 in West standings, now 11-5 in last month After a disappointing 10-11 stretch from early December to mid-January, the Rockets (34-20, No. 3 in West) are now 11-5 in their last 16 games.